Wednesday, January 22, 2014

My Top 5 Albums of 2013


Is it too late to make a list of my top albums of 2013? Well I don't care because I'm gonna do it anyway! I listened to a LOT of music last year. Usually I go for just singles, but I listened to a lot of albums. A lot of good albums. Most of which were 2013 albums, not older albums that I hadn't had the chance to listen to. So that's why this list will consist of albums that were released in 2013; that I first listened to in 2013. So even though Arcade Fire's Reflektor was released last year, it won't be on this list because I just listened to it a couple of weeks ago (Oops!). Alright, here we go:


05. Britney Spears - Britney Jean As I already had mentioned in my December favorites post, I really feel like this is the strongest album she's put out in years. And I also love the feature from her sister Jamie Lynn.
04. The Julie Ruin - Run Fast It was great to see Kathleen Hanna throw her hat back into the ring last year. It had been a while since she recorded any music (2004 was the last time she had released anything). She got a couple of her former band mates from Bikini Kill and Le Tigre and created The Julie Ruin, which was the name of her 1998 solo project. Catchy indie pop with a punk attitude is the only way to describe it. Great record.
03. Icona Pop - This Is...Icona Pop What is it about Sweden that it produces great pop music? First ABBA, then a-Ha, now Icona Pop. I heard about these girls from a friend of mine on Twitter (@allyofnewyork [Check her out, she's awesome!]). When I heard "I Love It" for the first time, I got excited! Pop music sung by talented people, and it was dancable and retro and wonderful. That's totally why I got their American debut album. Sometimes there's nothing better than dancable, retro-sounding Swedish pop!
02. Elvis Costello and The Roots - Wise Up Ghost When I first heard about this record, I was highly intrigued. I like Elvis Costello. I like The Roots. But together? Hmmmm...I had to listen to it. Well I was pleasantly surprised! This collaboration totally makes sense, even if on paper it may not. The Roots prove that they are more than a hip-hop band. They can play anything. And mixed with Costello's writing and vocal styles: fantastic.
01. Depeche Mode - Delta Machine Those of you that read this blog and know me personally know that this one was coming. It was OBVIOUS! I pre-ordered the iTunes version after the Super Bowl was over AND I bought the physical version on my birthday. I had been waiting for this album since October 2012, and it did NOT disappoint! Raw electronic blues rock. Dave Gahan's vocals are the best they've ever been, and he and Martin Gore have written great songs for this project.

From what I see around the interwebs, 2014 is gonna be a year of some great releases as well! We'll see what will end up on my list next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment